Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Shutters...gotta get it right

Honestly, shutters are a VERY important detail on any old house (or new for that matter). So often they are poorly planned or simply an afterthought. They must, I repeat, must be 1/2 the size of your window. I think this is the point most people and contractors get wrong. Shutters did serve a purpose at one time, and still do in many countries, they need to close. Or at least look like they will close. Secondly, they need to be made of real materials, i.e. wood. Not plastic or vinyl - yuck! I am a bit opinionated about this point....and many others, but they need to be authentic because they are so important. Think of them like vertical eyebrows for your house. You wouldn't just walk around with thin little plastic stickers above your eyes and think you look good. No, you want real authentic shapely eyebrows. I still don't understand why some women pluck all their eyebrows out and then draw them back on, that is a mystery to me, but I digress.

In my opinion shutters should be constructed of wood and the design will be dictated by your house style and personal preference. In a perfect world they would also all have actual iron hardware and shutter dogs. But I have no qualms with them simply being attached to the house if they are the right size, placed correctly and are made from authentic materials. Here are some wonderful examples of shutters that got it right to make your old house rock!





















0 comments:

Post a Comment